Written by Sophie
I used to always get put off making smoothies because of the complicated ingredients and not having enough fridge space or the danger that you would waste money buying a load of ingredients which would only go off in the fridge!
Then everything changed when I got given a nutribullet for my birthday last year and I learnt that actually you can easily make delicious and nutritious smoothies with just a few ingredients.
You’ve always got to get a green one in there! This isn’t too complicated, and isn’t as sweet as the others but I like it and it really does always give me a boost and keep me full as it is very low in natural sugars. This uses water as a base but you could also use coconut water.
- Large handful of spinach
- 1 x green apple
- 1 inch ginger (although I sometimes have a bit more because I love it!)
- Optional extras: chia seeds, protein powder, spirulina or wheatgrass powder (if you really want it green and aren’t too screamish about the taste), banana or mango for a bit of added sweetness.
Tropical Yellow Smoothie
This one will make you feel like you should be on a beach…I always make this for Ian because he’s not a big ‘green’ fan but really loves smoothies. This uses water as a base as the yoghurt makes it creamy.
- 1/2-1 cup Pineapple
- 1 banana
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- Optional extras: protein powder, maca powder (for an energy boost), and a sprinkling of turmeric for anti-inflammatory properties which are set off by the enzymes in the pineapple (this info is verified by Neil’s Yard).
Chocolate Milkshake (smoothie)
This can be heated up as an alternative to a hot chocolate, or just enjoyed as it is when you need that sweet pick-me-up
- 1 Banana
- 300-400 ml Almond Milk (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1 tsp Cacao Powder
- Optional extras: if you like it extra sweet then maple syrup goes really well, nut butter adds extra flavour and can make it more ‘nutella’ like, cinnamon goes well especially if you’re heating it up, and as I’ve mentioned in all of the above…protein powder goes well in this.